I am an economist specializing in Health Economics, Policy Evaluation, and Public Health. My research addresses a range of empirical policy-relevant topics in health behaviors and health outcomes (e.g. smoking, drinking, physical activity, obesity), healthcare financing, health services research, and cost-effectiveness analysis. My research applies various micro-econometric techniques (particularly, quasi-experimental methods) and economic theory to individual-level data from social surveys and administrative databases.
- Nguyen, H., and P. Grootendorst, (2014). Intended and Unintended Effects of Restrictions on the Sale of Cigarillos to Youth: Evidence from Canada. (Accepted, Tobacco Control).
- Irvine, I., and H. Nguyen, (2014). Is Employment Discrimination Based on Tobacco Use Efficient? (Accepted, Contemporary Economic Policy)
- Nguyen, H., (2013). Do Smoke-free Car Laws Work? Evidence from a
of Health Economics, 32(1):138-48
- de Oliveira, C., H. Nguyen, H. Wijeysundera, W. Wong, G. Woo, P. Grootendorst, P. Liu, and M. Krahn, (2013). Does research pay? Estimating the payoffs from cardiovascular disease research in Canada. CMAJ Open, 1(2) E83-E90
- Nguyen, H., C. de Oliveira, H. Wijeysundera, W. Wong, G. Woo, P. Grootendorst, P. Liu, and M. Krahn, (2013). Canada's Contribution to Global Research in Cardiovascular Disease. Canadian Journal of Cardiology,Volume 29, Issue 6 , Pages 742-746
- Oliveira, C., H. Nguyen, H. Wijeysundera, W. Wong, G. Woo, P. Grootendorst, P. Liu, and M. Krahn, (2012). How Much Are We Spending? The Estimation of Research Expenditures on Cardiovascular Disease in Canada. BMC Health Services Research, 12:281
- Faulkner, G., P. Grootendorst, H. Nguyen, T. Andreyeva, K. Arbour-Nicitopoulos, C. Auld, S. Cash, J. Cawley, P. Donnelly, A. Drewnowski, L. Dubé, R. Ferrence, I. Janssen, J. LaFrance, D. Lakdawalla, R. Mendelsen, L. Powell, B. Traill, and F. Windmeijer (2011). Economic Instruments for Obesity Prevention: Results of a Scoping Review and Modified Delphi Survey. International Journal of Behavioural Nutrition and Physical Activity, 8:109
- Irvine, I., and H. Nguyen, (2011). Toxic Choices: The Theory and Impacts of Smoking Bans. Forum for Health Economics & Policy, 14:2