I am a health economist specializing in health behaviors, health policy evaluation, and economic evaluation. My research addresses a range of empirical policy-relevant topics in health behaviors and health outcomes (e.g. smoking, drinking, physical activity, obesity), healthcare financing, health services research, and cost-effectiveness analysis. My research applies various micro-econometric techniques (particularly, quasi-experimental methods) and economic theory to individual-level data from social surveys and administrative databases.
- Tan NC, Nguyen VH, Nadkarni N, Lye WK, Sankari U. (2015) “Trends and Predictors of Asthma Costs in Singapore: Results from a 10-Year Longitudinal Study,” European Respiratory Journal (Forthcoming).
Tan NC, Nadkarni N, Lye WK, Sankari U, Nguyen VH. (2015) “Ten-Year Longitudinal Study of Factors
Influencing Nocturnal Asthma Symptoms amongst Asian Patients in Primary Care,”
npj Primary Care Respiratory Medicine (Forthcoming).
- Wong TH, Nguyen VH, Chiu MT, Chow KY, Ong M, Lim GH, Nadkarni N, Bautista D, Cheng J, Loo L, Seow D. (2015) “The Low Fall as a Surrogate Marker of Frailty Predicts Long-Term Mortality in Older Trauma Patients,” PLOS ONE 10(9): e0137127.
- Nguyen, H., (2015) Keeping Up with the Joneses: Neighborhood Wealth and Hypertension. Journal of Happiness Studies (Accepted)
- Press Coverage:
- Matchar, D., H. Nguyen, and Y. Tian, (2015). Bundled Payment and Care of Acute Stroke: What Does it Take to Make it Work? Stroke. (Epub ahead of print).
- Ang, M., H. Nguyen, S.Y. Kiew, S.P. Chee, S. Chen, and E. Finkelstein, (2015). Cost-Effectiveness of Alternative Strategies for Interferon-gamma Release Assays and Tuberculin Skin Test in Tuberculous Uveitis. British Journal of Ophthalmology. (Epub ahead of print).
- Irvine, I., and H. Nguyen, (2014). Retail Tobacco Display Bans. Forum for Health Economics and Policy, Volume 17, Issue 2.
- Carpenter, C., and H. Nguyen, (2014). Effects of Driver Cellphone Bans on Handheld and Hands-free Cellphone Use While Driving: New Evidence from Canada. Health Economics (Epub ahead of print)
- Mullen KA., D. Coyle, D. Manuel, H. Nguyen, B. Pham, AL Pipe, and R. Reid, (2014). Cost-Utility Analysis of a Hospital-initiated Intervention for Smokers with Chronic Disease in Ontario, Canada Tobacco Control (Epub ahead of print).
- Nguyen, H., and P. Grootendorst, (2014). Intended and Unintended Effects of Restrictions on the Sale of Cigarillos to Youth: Evidence from Canada. Tobacco Control, (Epub ahead of print).
- Irvine, I., and H. Nguyen, (2014). Is Employment Discrimination Based on Tobacco Use Efficient? Contemporary Economic Policy, Volume 32, Issue 4, pages 752-768.
- Nguyen, H., (2013). Do Smoke-free Car Laws Work? Evidence from a Quasi-Experiment. Journal of Health Economics, 32(1):138-48
- Press Coverage:
Bans on smoking in cars with kids deemed a success (CBC, 11 July, 2013)
- de Oliveira, C., H. Nguyen, H. Wijeysundera, W. Wong, G. Woo, P. Grootendorst, P. Liu, and M. Krahn, (2013). Does research pay? Estimating the payoffs from cardiovascular disease research in Canada. CMAJ Open, 1(2) E83-E90
- Nguyen, H., C. de Oliveira, H. Wijeysundera, W. Wong, G. Woo, P. Grootendorst, P. Liu, and M. Krahn, (2013). Canada's Contribution to Global Research in Cardiovascular Disease. Canadian Journal of Cardiology,Volume 29, Issue 6 , Pages 742-746
- Oliveira, C., H. Nguyen, H. Wijeysundera, W. Wong, G. Woo, P. Grootendorst, P. Liu, and M. Krahn, (2012). How Much Are We Spending? The Estimation of Research Expenditures on Cardiovascular Disease in Canada. BMC Health Services Research, 12:281
- Faulkner, G., P. Grootendorst, H. Nguyen, T. Andreyeva, K. Arbour-Nicitopoulos, C. Auld, S. Cash, J. Cawley, P. Donnelly, A. Drewnowski, L. Dubé, R. Ferrence, I. Janssen, J. LaFrance, D. Lakdawalla, R. Mendelsen, L. Powell, B. Traill, and F. Windmeijer (2011). Economic Instruments for Obesity Prevention: Results of a Scoping Review and Modified Delphi Survey. International Journal of Behavioural Nutrition and Physical Activity, 8:109
- Irvine, I., and H. Nguyen, (2011). Toxic Choices: The Theory and Impacts of Smoking Bans. Forum for Health Economics & Policy, 14:2
- Do Child Fitness Tax Credits Make Children More Active? (with Paul Grootendorst)
- Smoking Bans, Day by Day and Week by Week (with Charles de Bartolome and Ian Irvine)
- Effects of Smoke-free Car Laws on Children's Asthma (with Aziz Sheikh and Paul Grootendorst)
- Long-Term Health Effects of Vietnam War's Herbicide Exposure on the Vietnamese Population (with Nikolay Gospodinov)